Massage is known as a great relaxation technique, but it’s also extremely helpful when used therapeutically. Therapeutic massage is meant to address specific pain, discomfort or other issues that affect your physical performance or the quality of life in general. Women in Wellness is happy to offer therapeutic massage to our Baltimore customers. Massage can be used in conjunction with acupuncture or as an individual treatment.
What Does Therapeutic Massage Treat?
Massage as a therapy is for people who have specific muscular skeletal issues they want to address. Among other things, therapeutic massage can help:
- Alleviate lower-back pain and improve range of motion.
- Exercise and stretch weak, tight or atrophied muscles.
- Help athletes of any level prepare for and recover from strenuous workouts.
- Increase joint flexibility.
- Promote tissue regeneration, reducing scar tissue and stretch marks.
- Pump oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs, improving circulation.
- Reduce post-surgery adhesions and swelling.
- Reduce spasms and cramping.
- Relax and soften injured, tired, and overused muscles.
- Relieve migraine pain.
If any of the above sounds familiar, then you might benefit from therapeutic massage. Keep in mind that therapeutic massage is not a specific massage technique. “Therapeutic” refers to the purpose of the massage, and several different techniques may be used to achieve the desired result.
Depending on the type of issue you are having, your Baltimore massage therapist may choose to employ different techniques, applying varying pressure and strokes to different parts of the body. For example, neuromascular massage therapy focuses on locating trigger points that cause pain or stiffness in one part of your body. Pain in your neck could be caused by a pinched nerve or a tense muscle in your shoulder, which is why an experienced massage therapist is often needed to locate these trigger points.
Do you think therapeutic massage can help you? Want to learn more or hear our suggestions about the best way to treat your pain or discomfort? Fill out the form below and Cara-Michele will be in touch with you shortly!