by Kidada N Fields, M.Ac., L.Ac.
Although many of us use sex for pleasurable experiences, I am here to tell you that there is more to it than you think. The energy created by sex and our sexual organs, called jinq qi, is very dense. It is powerful, abundant and the easiest forms of energy to transform in the body. It really makes sense when you think about it. Of course….the energy that can create another human being must be potent.
Now you may be asking yourself, “How do I do this and why would I do this? “ If you haven’t read it already, please refer to my first article on cultivating your sexual energy where I share the health benefits and explain how to open your microcosmic orbit – the first step in this cultivation process. Opening the microcosmic alone is very beneficial. In opening your inner orbit you become more balanced and in tune with yourself before you even begin changing your sexual energy into healing energy.
For women, ovarian breathing is the next step. This active meditation teaches you to use energy gathered from your ovaries and move it in small sips up your body then back down again. During this process, your dense ovarian energy is transformed into healing energy later to be stored in your organs.
Master Taoist Mantak Chia’s teaches these techniques in his book, Healing Love Through the Tao: Cultivating Female Sexual Energy. Below I provide a much abbreviated explanation of the beginnings of ovarian breathing.
1. Wearing loose clothing sit or stand. Relax and begin breathing through the nose. Connect your microcosmic orbit by placing the tip of tongue to roof of mouth.
2. Locate your Ovarian Palace (OP). Create a triangle with your thumbs and index fingers. Rest the touching tips of you thumbs on your navel and place your touching index fingers downward towards your legs. The place where your index fingers touch is the ovarian palace (op). Your ovaries are located where your pinky fingers lie.
3. Create jing qi. Stimulate your ovaries massaging the area where your pinkies lie. At the same time, gently and slowly begin opening and closing the PC (vagina) muscles, like petals to a flower. You may feel warmth, tightness, swelling, tingling, or something different.
4. When you begin to feel something, bring the energy to the Ovarian Palace. Hold it there while keeping the PC muscle secure so that this energy does not seep out.
3. Bring Energy to Perineum (FIrst Station). Inhaling short sip of air, pull energy from the Ovarian Palace to perineum (the area between the anus & vagina). Concentrate on bringing the energy down to the perineum. Use sort sips of air to move the energy while keeping the perineum muscle engaged. Then breathe out and allow the energy to move freely to the perineum. Practice this for several days before moving on.
The remainder of this practice teaches you to bring energy to each transformation station (eg. perineum, sacrum, the 11th thoracic vertebrae) in steps until the loop is complete and you can return the energy to the navel.
After one is able to practice ovarian breathing successfully, Mantak Chia teaches how to perform ovarian compressions, perform the orgasmic upward draw and ultimately dual cultivation with a partner.
If you have any questions or would like to know more, I’d love to hear from you! firstname.lastname@example.org